Make bug and patch

Hi all,

We recently ran across a small bug in Make 3.79-3 under Cygwin 1.1.4 so
I took a bit of time to track it down and have attached a patch.  I'm
hoping that whoever is responsible for the make package will see this
and can incorporate it into the next release.

Basically, the bug only occurs under DOS type systems which use CRLFs.
In fact the code which causes the bug is #if defined for
WIN32_OR_CYGWIN or __MSDOS__.  If a line in a Makefile which uses line
continuations ('\' at the end of the line) happens to end at the same
time that the read.c (readline) method needs to realloc its buffer, the
bug pops up, truncates the line and causes the following error:

Makefile:4: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.

Which looks like a standard mis-formatted Makefile error, but in fact
the Makefile is perfectly formatted.  Anyhow the fix is simple enough
and I've included the appropriate diff and a sample Makefile.

I'm not on the mailing list so you'll have to send any comments to this
address.

Thanks,
Kevin