Re: BUG: Invalid assumption about file paths beginning with '\'

--- dave.banham@tde.alstom.com wrote:

> Cygwin version B18 (I think!)
>
> I am using the CygWin GAWK program and have been trying to use absolute path
> names for both the script file and input file. I find that I can only used
> absolute paths if they start with a drive letter. After some rooting through
> the
> documentation I found that CygWin maps Windows paths to POSIX paths by
> converting the drive letter to a folder name. The trouble begins when the
> drive
> letter is missing.
>
> The default 'mount' for '\' is 'c:\', so my absolute paths that don't have a
> drive letter are taken as being on drive c: rather than on the current
> working
> drive.
>
> OK, so I could change the mount for '\' to whatever drive I am using.
> Unfortunately, I can't because I am using gawk inside a makefile that can be
> run
> on a networked drive mounted as an arbitrary drive letter by any number of
> users. (If I could get the current working drive letter into a makefile macro
> could solve the problem by an other means, but I can't and, in any respect,
> the
> problem reveals an assumption in CygWin's DOS\Windows path mapping to POSIX.)
>
> Please consider changing the CygWin file path mapping schema to utilise the
> current working drive rather than a default.

Since we're in the business of emulating UNIX then no such modification will be
give consideration.  If you provide examples of what it is you're doing and
what it is you expect vs what actually happens perhaps we can suggest a working
solution.  If you don't need POSIX perhaps http://www.mingw.org would be a
better choice for your project.  ALSO, it would not be workable for you to
change the value of the mount point / while executing a script; your results
would be disastrous.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd