Spaces in paths (was RE: Newbie: W2K and Mounting problem.)

Just a vaguely related comment... an odd thing I happened to find the other
day from a windows shell (cmd.exe). I accidentally discovered that cmd.exe
treats the following identically:

cd \usr      \src
cd \usr\src

I knew that cmd.exe always tried to "imagine" quotes when paths with spaces
were used, but I didn't realize is "patches up" misspelled names like this.

Of course this should have no bearing on how Cygwin defines the behaviour of
spaces and quotes, but I wonder if it cmd.exe that strips the spaces out of
there, or is it the Windows operating system call to change directories? If
it's the latter, how might that affect the Cygwin implementation?

Regards,

  Dan Haynes