Re: McAfee impacting performance

> --- Rick Rauenzahn <rick@lanl.gov> wrote:
> > I see a huge performance hit with McAfee VirusScan 4.5.
> > I know that the FAQ lists a problem with the .tar.gz files,
> > but this occurs even when doing an 'ls' on any directory.
> > NT's task manager shows that the program mcshield.exe is
> > really hogging the cpu.  I have gotten around the problem by
> > disable scanning in / (which is D:\cygwin).  But I would like
> > an explanation as to what is going on.
> >

> Speculation, McAfee is being warned whenever a file is stat'ed.  Cygwin must
> read header info from the files to determine file type.  So McAfee will then
> scan the file when touched.  I disable my autoscanner and manually scan when
> needed.

Alternatively, you can go into McAfee's console, click Properties on your scan
items, select the Exclusions tab and enter specific directories to be excluded
from the automatic scan.  You may still want to occasionally do manual scans
of those directories (as Earnie suggests).  I exclude my whole Cygwin hierarchy
and try to be careful what I put into it.