Re: FAQ about make

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 06:07:23AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Chris Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:14:57PM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>> >Wait, I'm confused now.  Red Hat will ship with the environment
>> >variable MAKE_MODE=win32 set?  Or will ship a version of make where
>> >--win32 behavior is the default?
>>
>> The latter.
>
>Would it help if we voiced complaint somewhere within Redhat?  What
>reasoning is behind this?

The reasoning is that we have customers who are used to MAKE_MODE=win32
and rely on it.

One of our biggest customers uses make, gcc, etc.  only as a native
windows solution.  They don't care about mount tables or cygwin at all.
They want to be able to say:

d:\foo\bar.exe :
	gcc -o d:\foo\bar.exe c:\bob\sproing.c

and not have to worry about specifying MAKE_MODE=win32.

Complaining to Red Hat wouldn't help with this.  There is too much
entrenched use of the win32 stuff with the old Cygnus customers.  I
believe that eCos might even use it in their makefiles, in fact.

cgf