Re: [SETUP BIG BUG] et.seq.

> I'm a musician, not a programmer, and all I'm trying to do is to give
> people a free world-class edition of Domenico Scarlatti's harpsichord
> music with LilyPond under the GNU GPL.

Great.

> When it takes me most of a week of screwing around to try to get
> Cygwin to work, which it has, then I find that the bug that caused
> all it was noted on this group before I started, I do indeed feel
> like I'm in a war zone. (Not to mention that the reason I'm stuck
> with getting Cygwin to work is because RedHat Linux, which I
> *bought*, refuses to run in one disk partition even though that's
> perfectly legal Unix/Posix and I'm using a 5 MB non-GUI program on a
> machine with 64 MB memory.)

Out of curiousity, why don't you complain on a Redhat linux list then, as
you have a commercial license?  Cygwin is not a commercial (at least at this
time) product.  As Charles pointed out, it's free software that works very
well for many people thanks to the tireless efforts of Corinna, DJ, and
Chris, along with lots of outside people such as Charles.

> I've now got 8 posts (many in two copies), all but one of which went
> off like a landmine to shoot the messenger. (One of the 7 apologised
> after he read the prior posts and realised how bad the problem was.)
> BTW, I DID download all the files that were at the mirror I used.
>
> If RedHat doesn't start putting users first, they are going to end up
> like DEC. GNU deserves better.

You don't seem to get it.  Redhat does NOT equal cygwin.  This is free
software.  Not commercial.  You are not entitled to whine and complain.  You
ARE entitled to help track down the bug, and fix it.  But hey, look at that.
DJ has already fixed the bug, and on a weekend no less.  I'd say some thanks
are in order.

cheers,
-Matt Smith