Problem Starting up Cygwin bash

Hy,

I installed cygwin recently (~4 days ago).  Today, I suddenly could
not start the shell the usual way, by using the desktop symbol or by
using the start menu entry.

When using one of them, windows opens the usual open-with dialog, and
I'm sure I don't want to open that with winzip or even word :-)

However, I can still start bash.exe in my directory and source
/etc/profile, so I can still work...

I don't remember that i did something unusual, so I'm confused.
I'm sure there is a quick fix that associates profile with the correct
program.  Someone please tell me.

The properties of the desktop shortcut are about
target: 'd:\cygwin\etc\profile',
start in: ''
shortcut key: 'none'
run: 'normal window'