Re: ps and psql from PostgreSQL not working with cygwin-1.1.5-2

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 04:26:41PM +0100, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>    Chris> I've uploaded a new, testing version of Cygwin to sources.redhat.com.
>    Chris> A partial list of what has changed is below.  If anyone who has
>    Chris> submitted changes that are not mentioned below wants to chime in, please
>    Chris> feel free.
>
>    Chris> I'm making this available as a testing version first because there were
>    Chris> major changes in this version of cygwin and I thought it would be easier
>    Chris> to test if it was installable via setup.exe.
>
>    Chris> If there are no serious complaints with this version of cygwin, I'll make
>    Chris> it the next official version on Thursday.
>
>I'm using cygwin-1.1.5-2 and have problems running ps from cygwin and psql from PostgreSQL:
>
>ps gives no output expect the headerline:
>
>vzell:/tmp> ps
>      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
>
>psql gives the following error:
>
>vzell:/tmp> psql.exe -h localhost template1
>psql.exe: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No more processes
>        Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
>        and accepting connections on TCP/IP port '5432'?
>

>Switching to cygwin-1.1.4 everything is fine.

I can't duplicate the ps problem and I don't use psql.exe so, unless someone
can debug this, or provide more details, this will be a problem that is in
1.1.5.

strace output would probably help.  Offhand it sounds like you're missing either
psapi.dll if you're on Windows NT or CreateToolhelp32Snapshot stuff in your
kernel32.dll on Windows 9x.

cgf