*.COM, *.BAT must be explicitly specified to execute under bash?

Hi all,

This is my first time on this list, and I have read (I think) all of
the relevant parts of the faq and user guide that apply, but I still
don't understand why this happens.  First let me describe the problem;
my system and cygwin details are at the bottom.

I have several directories in my W9x PATH in which I keep useful DOS
commandline utilities.  Some of these are *.COM executables, some need
*.BAT scripts to invoke a *.COM or *.EXE module.  In both cases, it
seems I must specify the whole file name on the bash command line
(e.g., DFX.COM or ED.BAT) in order to execute these programs or
scripts.

I have mounted both C:\ and D:\, under which the paths to these
utilities are stored.  Here is a printout of my PATH and MOUNT setup:

administrator@C1PVI ~
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/c/PROGRA~1/PERSON~1:/d/BAT:/d/UT:/d/PT:/c:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND:/c/PROGRA~1/NETWOR~1/MCAFEE~1:/c/PROGRA~1/SYMANTEC/PCANYW~1/

administrator@C1PVI ~
$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
N:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
N:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
N:\cygwin           /                   user         binmode
C:                  /c                  user         binmode,exec
D:                  /d                  user         binmode,exec

My system is W98SE, 128M RAM, and cygwin is installed by itself on a
2GB FAT partition with the default directory setup.  I have just
downloaded the most recent cygwin files (as of Saturday, 11/11/2000)
from the cygwin website, so I think I have the latest versions.  If
there is any other information needed to help answer this question,
please tell me what to do and I'll be glad to send it.

BTW, mount is not very clear in its "help" response when you
incorrectly try to merge multiple switches into one; e.g.,

$ mount -bx k:/ /k
usage mount [-bfstux] <win32path> <posixpath>
-b  text files are equivalent to binary files (newline = \n)
-f  force mount, don't warn about missing mount point directories
-s  add mount point to system-wide registry location
-t  text files get \r\n line endings (default)
-u  add mount point to user registry location (default)
-x  treat all files under mount point as executables

[-bs] --change-cygdrive-prefix <posixpath>
     change the cygdrive path prefix to <posixpath>
--show-cygdrive-prefixes
     show user and/or system cygdrive path prefixes
--import-old-mounts
     copy old registry mount table mounts into the current mount areas

Or maybe that's just my unreasonable expectation that switches can
always be merged when using ported unix utilities.

Hoping to hear from you soon.