Re: long double support in cygwin

> I link my program with a library that has been GPL'ed -- what do I do?
>
> * You must make available the source code to the *LIBRARY*.
> * Due to derivation, you must make your program's source available as well.
>
> I link my program with a library that has been LGPL'ed -- what do I do?
>
> * You must make available the source code to the *LIBRARY*.
> * You may distribute the source code to your program if you choose.

NO.  This last bullet (note that I swapped them for the purposes of
this email) should read:

* You must distribute either the source code or object files to your
  program, or whatever the user needs to incorporate changes to the
  LGPL'd part into your program.

The LGPL *requires* that the user be able to change the sources for
the LGPL'd part, and rebuild the application (or otherwise cause it to
reflect the changes you made to the source).

In the case of shared libraries under Linux, the "object file" for
your app is the executable; the dynamic linker does the final link
with the libraries at run time.  In the case of Cygwin, the "object
file" is just that - you must give the user whatever they need to be
able to link against libcygwin.dll after rebuilding libcygwin.dll.