Error: Initializing USER32.dll

Hello everyone,
  I've searched the archives and found no answer to this, so...
I have Cygwin setup on a WinNT 4.0 Workstation as well as Exceed.  When I
telnet into the NT box and get a command prompt and attempt to run any
Cygwin app (even an 'ls') it locks at the client side.  At the NTW side, it
has brought up an error box saying:

Initialization of the dynamic lynk library C:\WINNT\system32\USER32.dll
failed.  The process is terminating abnormally.

(Here's a pic of it: http://swallace.iol-12.net/error.gif)
Then when I click OK on that error box and go back to my client telnet
session, it has given the following error:

C:\WINNT\system32>ls
D:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe: *** could not load advapi32.dll, Win32 error 1114
      0 [unknown (0x161)] ? 0 lock_pinfo_for_update: rc 0, pinfo_mutex
0xFFFFFFF
F, Win32 error 6

Any idea how to fix this?  It only does this on certain usernames.  I tried
creating a new user at the Domain controller and connecting through the
telnet session as that user, but still had the same results.  I don't know
what makes some logins work and others not.

Thank you for any help you can give!
Scott Wallace
Ternion Corporation
saw@ternion.com