Re: sed and find (and introduction)

--- Armin Theissen <Armin.Theissen@ireland.sun.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> no, I won't stick to cygwin-b20 'cause I want to live in the present, not
> the past ;-)
>
> find attached the output of cygwin -s -r -v and installed.db.
> I installed cygwin via the link on cygwin.com. I first downloaded the
> source (running setup.exe), and then (again running setup.exe) installed
> it from disk.
>
> I had to skip three modules in order to not hang up my system, though:
>

> gdb
This is the GNU DeBugger so you won't be able to debug your programs.
> mingw
This is the MinGW runtime so you won't be able to use the -mno-cygwin switch.
> tcltk
This the the Cygwin version of TCLTK also used by gdb.

> I don't have an 'ash' installed. Maybe due to one of those three modules?
> The versions of bash/sed/find I have are

According to the installed.db file you have ash installed.  The file will be
/usr/bin/sh.exe.

> bash: 2.04.0(8)
> sed:  3.02
> find: 4.1
>

> > What shell are you using?  The command
>
> 4NT...
>
> >   sed "/s/foo/bar/"
> > works for me in bash.  However, the command
> >   sed "/s/foo/bar"
> > gives the unterminated 's' command you speak of.
>
> I don't use the first / (so "s/foo/bar/" instead of "/s/foo/bar/")
> I guess linux wouldn't understand this one.

Oops, I typoed it.  Yes "s/foo/bar/" is what I should have typed.

> maybe I should also introduce myself at this occasion: I'm building
> OpenOffice (the open-sourced StarOffice) at SUN mic in Dublin. I do
> this since September (and actually worked in astrophysics before that,
> never touching Windows but working on Unix (and similar) platforms).
>
> We want to use cygwin for the Windows build - and eventually get rid of
> the 4NT shell. However, we're still building on cygwin-b20 which shouldn't
> be like that.

So why aren't you using bash?  Have you tried clicking on the icon setup puts
on your desktop?  Bash is the Bourne Again SHell.

> As an astronomer, I like your Cygnus logo. How many of you recognize
> the constallation Cygnus in the sky???

Not I.  Didn't even know there was one named Cygnus.

> Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Fri Nov 17 15:28:51 2000
>
> WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 4
>
> Path:	.
> 	/cygdrive/d/OpenOffice609/solver/609/wntmsci3.pro/bin
> 	/cygdrive/d/OpenOffice609/solenv/WNTI
> 	/cygdrive/d/OpenOffice609/solenv/wntmsci3/bin
> 	/cygdrive/c/Perl/bin
> 	/cygdrive/d/jdk122/bin
> 	/usr/bin
> 	/cygdrive/d/98ddk/bin/win98
> 	/cygdrive/c/Perl/bin
> 	/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
> 	/cygdrive/c/WINNT
> 	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/Tools/WinNT
> 	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/MSDev98/Bin
> 	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/Tools
> 	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/bin
> 	/cygdrive/d/cvs

I always suggest that you put the /usr/bin directory first in your PATH.

> SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
> WinDir: C:\WINNT
>
> CYGWIN = `C:\cygwin\bin'

THIS IS A RESERVED VARIABLE with a particular set of values and you have it set
incorrectly.  See the documentation at http://cygwin.com for details on what it
should be set to.

You also have no HOME variable set.  If you click on the icon or you
C:/cygwin/cygwin.bat to start your session this would be taken care of.

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions

I don't see anything else wrong.  I believe you'd be happy with bash.  If you
stick with your current command shell then try switch from the double quote
character `"' to the single quote character `''.

As for find, maybe you've confused Cygwin with the incorrect values for the
CYGWIN variable.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd