Re: cp uses NT5 permissions on NT4

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
> >
> > with notepad I get "Access Denied". Looking at the Security/Permissions
> > tab for one of the new files I get an error like this:
> >
> >  The security information for D:\release\CE-status.txt is not standard
> >  and cannot be displayed... The information may have been modified by a
> >  computer running Windows NT 5.0, which supports these features and can
> >  edit information which uses them.
>
> This has nothing to do with NT5.

Sure. I mentioned NT5 because NT4's security tab told me that it suspected
that a system running NT5 may have screwed things up. Of course, we don't
have NT5. My guess was that CYGWIN was to blame instead, and I wasn't
wrong, was I?

> It's dependent of the way `ntsec' uses the ACLs.

Ok.

> NT4 does correctly interpret the stored ACL information.

This depends on how you define 'correctly'. I started with a directory
tree on a remote shared drive which I can read (and I think also write,
but this should be irrelevant here). I copy the tree to my local drive,
on which I have full control, using CYGWIN's cp command. The outcome is
that I cannot read any of the copied files or directories. This is
certainly not what I would have expected.

Using the security tab one is offered the opportunity to overwrite the
"non-standard" security information which can be used to fix the
situtation after the copy.

> Only the GUI interface (the security tab) isn't able to deal with the
> permissions set in some cases.

As I explained, it is not only the GUI interface. I cannot access the
files until I manually 'fix' the security information.

> Please have a look into the online documentation

Thanks for the pointer. Even after reading this I don't see how it
explains what happens in this case.

The only convenient solution for now, is to revert to CYGWIN-b20 which
works as I would have expected.

Joachim