Re: Normal Cygwin Behavior?

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 02:18:43 -0500 Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Whether you believe this is off-topic or not, is irrelevant unfortunately.
>AFAICT, you're asking about the behavior of a non-cygwin program.  The fact
>that people here may be knowledgable about a particular topic is not really
>the criteria for describing if something is "on topic".

>I happen to know a fair amount about tropical fish.  That does not mean
>that tropical fish questions are valid here.

Now you are just being a prick.  The question was totally understandable.
Warren said he used 'chmod' to modify the access list of a file and his
java program did not behave as he expected.

Only two possible components could be at fault (assuming there is no bug
in the program), java vm or cygwin.  I am sure if 100 people ran into this
problem, at least 50 would choose cygwin.  And chmod _is_ a cygwin
program.  Users of cygwin do not know how cygwin is implemented.  How do
we know that chmod did not modify the NT acl instead of an internal data
structure?

The general form of this question is;

	Does cygwin apps work with non-cygwin apps?

Which is a completely on-topic and valid question.  So get a life.

--jc

P.S.  I really hope customer who purchase cygwin tech support do not have
to interface with you.

--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching@flex.com     wh6brr@uhm.ampr.org