Re: Normal Cygwin Behavior?

Jimen Ching wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 02:18:43 -0500 Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >Whether you believe this is off-topic or not, is irrelevant unfortunately.
> >AFAICT, you're asking about the behavior of a non-cygwin program.  The fact
> >that people here may be knowledgable about a particular topic is not really
> >the criteria for describing if something is "on topic".
>
> >I happen to know a fair amount about tropical fish.  That does not mean
> >that tropical fish questions are valid here.
>
> Now you are just being a prick.

No, he's not.  Let's not get into ad hominem attacks, here.  My FIRST
thought when I read "People here would be very knowledgeable about
XXXX..." was

"And we're probably all very knowledgeable about Linux.  That doesn't
mean questions about Linux installation are appropriate".  So Chris
thought "tropical fish".  Big fraggin deal.

> The question was totally understandable.
> Warren said he used 'chmod' to modify the access list of a file and his
> java program did not behave as he expected.
>
> Only two possible components could be at fault (assuming there is no bug
> in the program), java vm or cygwin.  I am sure if 100 people ran into this
> problem, at least 50 would choose cygwin.  And chmod _is_ a cygwin
> program.  Users of cygwin do not know how cygwin is implemented.  How do
> we know that chmod did not modify the NT acl instead of an internal data
> structure?

Now this is a good point.  And addresses (part) of the original
question.  However, if you read the whole thread, it drifted off into
"how can I get java to work with NT security".  Which is off topic,
regardless of the knowledge-base of the people subscribed to this CYGWIN
list.

> So get a life.

Naughty, naughty.  Ad hominem attacks....

> P.S.  I really hope customer who purchase cygwin tech support do not have
> to interface with you.

Did you ever have a professor in college who was a *great* teacher, and
*very* helpful -- but tolerated neither dumb questions nor people who
re-ask the same question he just answered 5 minutes earlier or the day
before?

That's Chris.

On the care and feeding of cgf:

(1) before asking any question, ask yourself, "Is this appropriate for a
cygwin list, or is it more closely related to NT-, windows-, or
linux-specific mailing lists?"

(2) before asking any question, ask yourself, "Has this question been
asked (and answered) before?"  Perhaps you should check the mailing list
archives, online documentation, online FAQ, etc...

(3) before asking any question, ask yourself, "Is this question answered
more easily by just TRYING it, rather than asking other people on the
list?"  (e.g. "Does cygwin work on W2K?")

(4) NEVER say "But it works great on linux|unix|solaris|hpux|... "

(5) NEVER say "But it works great in MSVC"

Violating any of these rules is likely to cause cgf (or any of the rest
of us) to respond with a mild rebuke.  (If you call that a flame, you're
WAY too thin-skinned for ANY public mailing list).

--Chuck Wilson

--Chuck