Re: tar a filesystem outside of /cygwin

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:38:35PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 01:30 PM 12/12/2000, John F. Davis wrote:
>>Any particular reason why I can't mount a filesystem in /home?
>>i.e., cd /home/davis
>>mkdir progs
>>mount c:/progs /progs
>>The mount says, "mount: progs: Invalid argument
>
>The directory you mount to must exist where you tell mount it is.  In your
>example, unless "/" == "/home/davis", you don't have a progs where you're
>telling mount you do.  That'd be the problem...

Actually, after digging around in the code, it looks like the most
likely scenario in which you'd get an "Invalid argument" is if you
typed something like:

mount c:/progs progs
               ^
               no leading slash

If you don't specify an absolute path, mount will complain.

It is not necessary for either of mounts arguments to exist, but they
have to be fully qualified windows and unix paths respectively.

So, when I suggested that the directory was already mounted, I was wrong.
And, the inference that the directory has to exist is also wrong.

What you want to do in the above scenario is:

mount c:\whereever\home\really\is\home\davis\progs /progs

cgf