Typing trouble?

Dear All,

A novice's question here - just got Cygwin running using an older version
(a 10MB-or-so executable containing all the relevant files).

It seems to be OK in terms of running but when typing in the bash shell,
there are lots of beeps and any letters I type often delete the previous
letter or shift the last letter written along one - e.g. typing abcdef
might come up as abcdfe (and no I've typed this in very slowly so it's not
me!) - and it's very infuriating.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this peculiar trouble and whether
there was any sort of patch released that might cure it.

Many thanks in advance,
Richard (rdixon@met.rdg.ac.uk)