getfacl/setfacl problem

I have some permissions screwed up.

I created a directory using the local admin account, and it inherited
permissions from the local "Users" group.
I then installed cygwin using a domain account.
I created a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group

I used
chgrp -R "Domain Users" /
to reset the group and chmod to reset the permissions.
Everything looks ok:

andrewd@A5-2K:/ $ls -al / | grep var
drwxr-xr-x   6 cygwin   Domain U        0 Dec 18 14:08 var

The problem is that for some reason the local "Users" group still has
access, as getfacl shows:

andrewd@A5-2K:/ $getfacl /var
# file: /var
# owner: 1228
# group: 513
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:545:rwx
mask::r-x
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:545:rwx
default:mask::r-x
default:other::r-x

For some reason I cant get setfacl to remove the "group:545:" entries,
all I get is
"setfacl: illegal acl entries"
even the following doesn't work
touch foo
touch bar
getfacl foo | setfacl -f - bar

(As a work around,
chgrp "Users" $FILE && chgrp "Domain Users" $FILE
seems to work.)

I'm about to recompile everything so I can step through it.

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish