Re: AW: documentation archive

On Wednesday 20 December 2000 20:18, Vladimir G Ivanovic wrote:
>   EB> 2) Don't use Winzip to explore a cygwin archive file.
>
> I do this as well without problems, although it's not my preferred
> way of exploring a gzipped tar gile. WinZip will ask if it should
> decompress the file to a temporary directory and open it, which it
> does admirably. Also, see below.

This is an old discussion. WinZip has three problems which are very
annoying.

- tar archives are extracted with CR/LF conversion by default. This
  can be switched off fortunately by a config dialog.

- It doesn't create empty directories from the archive.

- Worst: It doesn't know of Cygwin symbolic links so they are extracted
  without setting the system bit.

That's it and these are the reasons for suggesting not to use WinZip
for unpacking. Especially newbies will not be able to figure what's
gone wrong.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.