Re: CR/LF problems,

At 05:05 PM 1/11/2001, Mark Tigges wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just upgraded my cygwin to the latest version in order to
>satisfy xemacs requirements.
>
>Unfortunately now I am completely unable to make cygwin in
>anyway not perform \r\n translation.
>
>This is critical since any Makefile's created in cygwin will not
>work in unix.
>
>The relevant mount is mounted as binary:
>Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>\\cardano\anm       /anm                user         binmode
>d:\bin              /usr/bin            system       binmode
>d:\lib              /usr/lib            system       binmode
>d:                  /                   system       binmode
>
>and when I installed I checked "Unix" as the default text file
>mode.  However, as I said it seems to have no effect (I have tried
>both tty and binmode in the CYGWIN variable (also  CYGWIN32 as I
>saw sporadic mention of it in the user guide as well)).
>
>I am at a complete loss as to what is causing the problem.  If
>anybody knows how to effectively eradicate any \r\n translation
>I would be hugely appreciated to be enlightened.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark.

Its hard to tell what's wrong without knowing what you're doing.  Still,
from what you've provided, your mounts look fine, which means if some app
writes without binary specified, you should see the resulting file as
binary.  The mounts don't protect you from those apps that write in text
mode.  Perhaps that's your problem?  Output of cygcheck -s -r -v might
be helpful to you but I'm left with the impression that the trouble lies
elsewhere...

tty and binmode settings no affect on file modes.  CYGWIN32 is an old
reference to the now named CYGWIN environment variable.  Setting CYGWIN32
to anything will have no affect.