RE: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?

> From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:lhall@rfk.com]
> At 04:25 PM 1/12/2001, Ehud Karni wrote:
>>> Do you mean it's a known problem that crops up (for some people), or
that
>>> it simply doesn't work at all (for anyone combining Emacs and CygWin)?
>>I think he meant it is a general problem for everyone. The base of this
>>is that the emacs shell buffer is not a tty. You can check it by doing
>>`stty', you'll get: "stty: standard input: Not a character device".
>>
>>And hence, it is not a tty ==> it will not generate SIGINT for ^C.
>>
>>Ehud.
> Forgive me for coming late to the party.  I didn't digest that this
> conversation was about NTEmacs (i.e. the Windows port).  I'll leave
> aside whether or not ^C should work in this context.  I really don't
> know whether it should/would/ever did.  I don't use Emacs.  However,
> I can say you'll have better luck with a Cygwin version of Emacs, like
> XEmacs.  You'll find Cygwin applications work much better with other
> Cygwin applications, especially in areas of detail like this.
 Larry has a point.

 NTEmacs:  "stty: standard input: Not a character device"  BREAK does not
work
 XEmacs for NT: "stty: standard input: Not a character device"  BREAK does
not work
 cygwin XEmacs: stty works correctly.   BREAK works.

 Note that results are the same whether typing C-c C-c, selecting BREAK
from the "Signals" menu, or typing M-x comint-interrupt-subjob  (as one
would expect)

 Setting CYGWIN=TTY does not seem to matter. (Not sure if I tried all
combos)