Re: Cygwin questions

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Yehuda Gan-El wrote:

> Hello:
> 1)We are trying to bulid ACE/TAO on VxWorks. For doing that we have to use
> Cygwin, since our host runs on windows2000. For the building process we
> defined new user enviorment variables (like other paths in the path var, CPU
> variable etc.) We checked to see if other programs (regular C++ files) are
> femilier with the new vars, and they were. but the Cygwin did not recognize
> them.Why doe'nt the Cygwin know about the existance of these vars?

I assume you're using Cygwin just as a host and using VxWorks cross-tools
to build for the target. That said, I'm not sure what you mean by Cygwin
not recognizing environment variables, which it certainly does. Unless you
provide some examples of what you're trying to do and how these fail under
Cygwin, I'm afraid it'll be hard to find any help here.

Cygwin strives to emulate Unix systems, and you'll need to have some
understanding of Unix-like systems work.

> 2) We did not succees to compile a simple C++ program using the gcc order.
> Do we have to do somthing special in order to be able to compile in this
> order?

Again, provide some examples please. There is no such thing as GCC order;
however, GNU linker is single-pass, and so you do need to provide the
object files and archive libraries in the right order on the command line
when linking.

> 3)Does Cygwin is femiliar with unmount ? I did not succeed to operate it!

umount.

Regards,
Mumit