Re: openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal

This is because you are running in a DOS box locally, and the remote app
is using (a remote version of) ncurses.  The DOS box ain't linux.  What
you want to do is set TERM=cygwin, but then you need to instruct the
remote machine in what "cygwin" means
.  Download the following file:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin.terminfo

which is an excerpt from the ncurses-5.2-4-src.tar.gz terminfo.src.  Put
cygwin.terminfo on the remote machine, and run 'tic cygwin.terminfo' on
that machine.  This should create a partial terminfo database in
~/.terminfo/* on the remote machine, "teaching" it about TERM=cygwin.

--Chuck