Program can not be run in DOS mode

Hello,

     I just came across Cygwin a few days ago, so I decided to try it.
Eventually, I got it to download and install successfully. However,
it does not want to boot.
    The error in the subject occurs every time I use the shortcut on
my desktop. By using the step-by-step boot in Win98, I found
that the error occurs after the following line:

     Call c:\windows\command.com /e:4096 /c c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

   Cygwin.bat looks like:

       @echo off

       C:
       chdir \cygwin\bin

       bash --login -i

    One more command is executed (c:\windows\win.com /wx)
 and the machine reboots to Windows. Can someone with more experience
help?

Thanks,  Bob Olbrich   rjob@gulftel.com