Re: Mount weirdness... (or operator error :)

"Stephen C. Biggs" wrote:

> I have read all the relevant FAQs but can't figure this one out...
>
> I have my cygwin installation mounted as binary.
>
> from a dosprompt:
> <cygdrive>:\cygwin>bin\mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> <cygdrive>:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
> <cygdrive>:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
> <cygdrive>:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>
> Straight vanilla cygwin.
>
> Then I do:
> <cygdrive>:\cygwin>md dossrc
> <cygdrive>:\cygwin>bin\mount -t -s usr\local\src\gcc ./dossrc
> bin/mount: ./dossrc: Invalid argument
>
> Is it possible to do what I want to do here?  Is it that I am trying to
> remount an already binary mounted subdirectory as text mode??
>
> What is the invalid argument?  Is it a permission problem?

It's obvious you don't understand the mount protocol.  Just guessing
here, you want a mounted directory /usr/local/src/gcc, correct?  You
want the physical directory to be c:/cygwin/dossrc.

You would need to (Note I'm working in bash)
  mkdir -p /usr/local/src/gcc
  mount -t -s c:/cygwin/dossrc /usr/local/src/gcc

Earnie.

P.S.:  cygdrive is a pseudo mount point that is provided as a means to
easily reference the unmounted drives.  It isn't a reference to the
drive letter itself.