Re: newbie Q: umount?

Today, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> How do I unmount a mount? It doesn't look like there is much
> documentation here ..
>   $ apropos mount
>   sleep (1)            - delay for a specified amount of time

umm... that's a very wierd thing to have come up....

>   $ apropos umount
>   umount: nothing appropriate

now that's more like it. :)

for docs on mount and other commands like that, see the user's guide:
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html
DJ, Pierre, and Geoffrey have a lot of good material in there.
(in particular chapter 3, the first couple sections)

> So today I said
>   $ mount -s c:/ /c
> and got a message saying 'mount: warning - /c does not exist.'
> Then I did
>   $ mount
>   Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>   c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>   c:                  /c                  system       textmode
> Argh, I forgot to set binmode! I want '/c' to be binmode. So I do
>   $ umount /c
> and
>   $ umount -s /c
> and get
>   umount: /c: No such file or directory
>   $ mount
>   Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>   c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>   c:                  /c                  system       textmode
> Huh? Why isn't '/c' gone?

because umount was looking in c:\cygwin for a mountpoint called 'c',
and didn't think to look in it's own mount table instead. I'm sure
a patch would be welcome. (or was this intentional?)

>   $ mkdir /c
>   mkdir: cannot make directory `/c': File exists
> Huh?? How can '/c' cause both 'No such file or directory' and 'File
> exists'? Now I do

because mkdir looked at the cygwin virtual mapping and saw that /c
already existed.

>   $ mount c: /d
>   mount: warning - /d does not exist.
>   $ mount
>   Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>   c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>   c:                  /d                  user         textmode
>   c:                  /c                  system       textmode
>   $ umount /d
>   $ mount
>   Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>   c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
>   c:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>   c:                  /c                  system       textmode
> So how come this process works for '/d' and not for '/c'?

dunno, perhaps you had some file or prompt open under /c? or perhaps
the combination of above confused something somewhere?

can you force a new mount...

mount -s -f -b c:\\ /c

another option would be to nuke all of them and recreate...
umount -help will give you some ideas if you're feeling like
going to that extreme.

> Then I became reckless, and deleted the
>   HKLM|Software|Cygnus Solutions|Cygwin|mounts v2|/c
> registry key, and quit and restarted bash. Now the registry key has

"danger will robinson"...

> gone, but the mount point remains! It seems I'm completely missing
> something basic.

did you have any other cygwin process running (inetd maybe?) that would
have kept the dll in memory?

> Could someone please put me on the right track?

I'd use the cygwin tools instead of regedit if I were you.

--
now the forces of openness have a powerful and
  unexpected new ally - http://ibm.com/linux