-mno-cygwin and c++ stl... progress?

Seeing the assert.h patch flow by reminded me that a while ago
(November maybe?) Earnie mentioned something about work being
under way to enable the subject combination by way of some
additional packages for the libraries needed to compile for
msvc targets. I was just wondering how that work had progressed?

I've been using the mingw builds Mumit has on xraylith, but
have noticed some, uh, "issues" with them and was wondering
if the time was right to look at a different cross compiling
environment. (Mo setup the one I'm using now, so it's functional
within limits....)

--
now the forces of openness have a powerful and
  unexpected new ally - http://ibm.com/linux