Re: Special chars inside filename

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> This might be a useful option, but it would have to be an option, since
> it would mean that the files created would not be accessible with Win32
> tools (only Cygwin-aware ones).  Alternatively, a few days back, someone
> suggested a solution of creating a map from invalid characters to valid
> ones.  This alternative is probably better since it would support Win32
> tools.  I'm sure the maintainers would consider a well though-out patch.

DJ also pointed out that djtar handles this situation, and before anyone
reinvents the wheel, s/he should look into that first. I at one point
needed it and hacked up tar to use a map file, and it worked *for me*
and *for that particular task*; however, doing it right would require
some design. This is too low a priority for me, so I'll just sit back
and watch.

Regards,
Mumit