Re: ksh93? -- also u/win question

> Was this due to cygwin or zsh changes, or both?

Cygwin changes.  I'm not sure which version of the dll fixed the problems.
Just that I recompiled it again the other day, and things work well.

> Do you want to make a zsh available on cygwin.com?  I'll set you up with
> an account so that you can upload copies, there, if so.

Sure, I'd be happy to.  I should probably touch base with Corinna about the
changes she had to make to tcsh in regards to text/binary issues.

> Can you give an example of some of the clever ideas in uwin?  I know that
> they have some sort of setuid daemon or something like that but it has
been
> a while since I really investigated U/WIN.

    I liked the /dev/clipboard idea.  I mentioned this awhile ago, and I
believe someone implemented this at least partially in cygwin - Charles was
it?
    Uwin also has a wrapper around Visual C++ that will parse unix style
args, and then convert them to the appropriate VC++ args.  That type of
thing would be useful to me from a work perspective, as we use our own make
system along with VC++.  If you have VC++ installed, Uwin will grab the root
directory of it from the registry, and mount it on something like /msdev.
    The other thing it does in regards to mounts, is mount the system
directory in a standard place, and IIRC, it will mount the registry as a
filesystem.  Now whether this is a good idea or not is certainly debateable.
Can you imagine the enraged emails from newbies that have just trashed their
OS install after manipulating the registry?
    As you pointed out, the setuid stuff is a good idea.  Nothing else comes
to mind off the top of my head.

> Since I have to come up with a roadmap for Cygwin at some point, it might
be
> nice to know where another product has gone so that I could shamelessly
steal
> some ideas.

I agree completely.

> I thought that it was interesting that David Korn said that U/WIN may soon
be
> open sourced.

Ditto.

cheers,