Re: ksh93? -- also u/win question

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 12:01:33AM -0500, Dennis McCunney wrote:
>>Can you give an example of some of the clever ideas in uwin?  I know
>>that they have some sort of setuid daemon or something like that but it
>>has been a while since I really investigated U/WIN.
>
>The main thing of interest is that Global Technologies, Ltd, the
>commercial liscensing outfit that sells supported commercial versions
>of U/WIN, has successfully ported GNOME to it.  They claim it took
>under two weeks to port 4 million lines of code, and less than one
>hundred lines of source changes were required.

Yeah, I saw that.  I imagine that porting to Cygwin would be similar.  Hmm.
I think it may already be done.  Should we announce this to the world, too?

I got contacted by one of the people from Global Technologies a while ago.
He was asking about the Cygwin Xfree86 project that Suhaib Siddiqi is heading.

He saw a lot of "overlap between the product lines" and was picking my
brains for exactly how much of the Xfree86 port and gcc he could package
with his software.  My feeling was that he wanted to find out how much
he could use for free.

I would be thrilled to collaborate with the guys at AT&T but somehow I don't
see much happening with the people who are trying to sell U/WIN commercially.

cgf