RE: bash: setenv: command not found

<off-topic-drivel>
Of course, that's a pefectly reasonable opinion to have.
Dreadfully wrong of course, but reasonable.  8-)

IMO, the bash/ksh version is right. After all,
its part of the posix shell spec...
I've always liked the 'to each their own' motto.
ONE standard is OH so boring and inflexible....
8-)

</off-topic-drivel>

On 02/07/2001 at 10:50:15 PM, cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com wrote:
> setenv/unsetenv are commands that are built into the csh family
> of shells. Under bash the equivalent built ins are export and
> unset. For example:

> CSH:  setenv name value
> BASH: export name=value
>
> CSH:  unsetenv name
> BASH: unset name

> <soapbox>
> yes, this is a stupid naming convention, and it's one
> of the things I hate the most about shells... every one
> has a different version, and different syntax. There
> needs to be ONE standard, and I'm sorry to say BASH's
> answer isn't an answer; here csh got it right.
> </soapbox>

"Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything
 to do with my muscles in this place?" ... "Free your mind."
Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus in 'The Matrix'.

Fred A. Kulack  -  AS/400e  Java and Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
mailto:kulack@us.ibm.com   Personal: mailto:kulack@bresnanlink.net
AOL Instant Messenger: Home:FKulack  Work:FKulackWrk