RE: cygwin and GPL (again)

You're quite welcome.  I _did_ read the GPL, and what I wrote reflects my
understanding of it.  It's nice to know I haven't lost _all_ ability to
comprehend what I read.

> I try to mention the Cygwin and the GPL fairly frequently
> because people have professed surprise about it in the past.
> Usually in this context, I also point out that Red Hat does
> retain the copyright on Cygwin and we do occasionally sell
> proprietary-use versions of it to people who are scared of
> the GPL.  These licenses are part of what keeps the project
> going, paradoxically enough.

I ignored some of the technicalities, like Red Hat's copyright, as
irrelevant to the main point and potentially confusing.  There _are_
technical differences between the various open source liscense terms that
can bite you, like the issues discussed here in the past that would prevent
some other open source packages from becoming part of the Cygwin
distribution per se.  (F'rinstance, I'd _love_ to see real ksh93 for Cygwin,
but I suspect AT&T Research's open source terms are far apart enough from
the GPL that you couldn't package a Cygwin port of it _with_ Cygwin.)

Speaking of which, IIRC, you get a message from the listbot when you
subscribe to this list.  Would it make sense to add a couple of paragraphs
to that message?  One would specify that the list is for Cygwin under
Windows discussion, and it's _not_ the right place to ask general Unix/Linux
questions.  The second would include some helpful URLs, for Cygwin and *nix
newbies to look for more information, before asking questions here.

It might cut down on some of the less topical questions.