Fatal exception SYMEvent at boot time.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.  I am not saying it is Cygwin
related, but it's timing is close enough to make ME think it is.  I had
installed several other packages over a week ago with no problems and
then just the other night I finally updated all my Cygwin packages via
setup.exe from their 2 or 3 ago versions to the current versions
(actually I went to 1.1.6 on cygwin and only other updated several other
packages - I was testing setup.exe changes) and when I rebooted because I
could no longer run bash or the dos prompt on got a fatal exception
during the boot.  Several boots later I finally got in and still could
not run bash (this again was some previous version).  So last night I
download and installed - all current versions of all packages in
setup.exe.  I can now run Bash again and compile programs but I am still
getting the blue screen with the fatal exception when I first boot my
laptop.

The actual error is as follows:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0060391 in VXD SYMEvent(02)
+00003F0D.  The current Application will be terminated.

It then gives me the list of options and I press CTRL+ALT+DEL and I get
another Fatal Exception referencing VWIN32 and then another CTRL+ALT+DEL
and the laptop reboots and on this boot will usually go on and boot up as
normal although before the full update last night I did have cases where
it would take several boots to get past.

Anyone else seen anything like this or have any ideas - is it related??