sshd connection refused

I have installed Cygwin 1.1.8 DDL on a NT 4 workstation with SP6.

It works when I start manually sshd, but only with RSA keys not with
passwords, even if I specified "PasswordAuthentication yes" in
/etc/sshd_config. Note that I ssh from the same host to localhost and
with the same user, with which I start sshd. Any idea why it does not work?

I also tried to run sshd as a service. I am trying to run sshd via srvany,
and I did the following:

I ran inssrv as in:

c:\winnt\instsrv SecureShellDaemon "c:\winnt\srvany.exe"

I added the followin entry in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecureShellDaemon

I added the key "Parameters" under SecureShellDaemon and a name "Application"
with value:

"c:\program\cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe"

When I start the service with:

net start SecureShellDaemon

it says the service is successfully started, however in the task manager, I
only see srvany running but not sshd. I get, in fact, a "connection refused"
message when I try to ssh to localhost. Any idea here?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Alberto U. Begliomini                            Email: aub@coldstone.com
Coldstone Consulting, LLC                        Phone: 650-400-3990