Re: sshd connection refused

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:54:57PM -0800, Alberto Begliomini wrote:
> > I have installed Cygwin 1.1.8 DDL on a NT 4 workstation with SP6.
> >
> > It works when I start manually sshd, but only with RSA keys not with
> > passwords, even if I specified "PasswordAuthentication yes" in
> > /etc/sshd_config. Note that I ssh from the same host to localhost and
> > with the same user, with which I start sshd. Any idea why it does not work?
>
> Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.3.0p1.README especially the part
> about user rights.

I already read the openssh-2.3.0p1.README file. The document states:

- If you want to authenticate via RSA and you want to login to that
  machine to exactly one user account you can do so by running sshd
  under that user account.

and then continues:

- If you want to be able to login to different user accounts you'll
  have to start sshd under system account or any other account that
  is able to switch user context.

But it does not mention anything about authenticating with just one
user and using password instead of RSA. This is not tremendously
important, however, since I want to run sshd as a service any way.

> > I also tried to run sshd as a service. I am trying to run sshd via srvany,
> > and I did the following:
> > [...]
> > When I start the service with:
> >
> > net start SecureShellDaemon
> >
> > it says the service is successfully started, however in the task manager, I
> > only see srvany running but not sshd. I get, in fact, a "connection refused"
> > message when I try to ssh to localhost. Any idea here?
>
> Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.3.0p1.README especially the part
> about permission bits and ownership of files.

Unfortunately I did that already. ntsec is enable, the private and public host
keys belong to SYSTEM, and the private host keys have permission 0600. Still
sshd does not show up in the task manager list of processes.

Alberto