Re: mingw > 20001111: fstat bug: buffer overflow?

Reuben Thomas wrote:

> In mingw versions later than 20001111, i.e. 20001225 and 20010130, fstat
> seems to overrun the stat buffer passed to it. This is illustrated by the
> following program, in which if a simple struct stat is passed to test, foo
> crashes when it tries to return (presumably the return address is
> overwritten). If a struct bar (with extra padding before and after the
> struct stat) is used instead, there is no error.
>
> >From looking at /usr/include/mingw/stat.h, it seems that there are at least
> two different versions of struct stat in play, potentially with different
> types, but I don't claim to understand what's going on.

Which gcc version are you using?  There are different versions of the
stat structure based on whether you are using CRTDLL or MSVCRT.  There
is a bug in the specs file for gcc-2.95.2-7 in that __MSVCRT__ should be
defined when -mno-cygwin is used.  The absence of this is what has
caused your problem.

Earnie

P.S.: Thanks for the test case.  I'll try it out later.