Re: CygWin under WIN 98SE - login, passwd, group, services

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > login - #1
> > When I connect through telnet or ftp, I am asked for my password - not
> > my login. By process of 'keep trying things', I have discovered that any
> > non-specific remote connection request (ie: NOT using 'telnet -l
> > username') seems to assume that you are trying to log in as the first
> > entry in the passwd file. Is there any way to FORCE the login prompt?
>
> I hear that for the first time. telnet and ftp are usually always
> asking for the username.

It took me a LOT of investigation to intuit that the lack of a password in
/etc/passwd was the problem preventing login from ever happening during remote
access. Adding the encrypted password as the second parameter on each line got
it going, but it always assumes the first entry - scratch that! I just
rearranged the file, and it seems similar to the GetUserName that you
mentioned for #2 - it's defaulting to the Win user name.

> /bin/passwd doesn't work on 9x/ME. The current stable solution is using
> /bin/crypt to generate DES passwords as you do. There speaks nothing
> against including the /bin/crypt functionality into /bin/passwd but
> seriously - it's on the lower right end of my TODO list and it hasn't
> moved from there for months. Feel free to contribute here.

Unfortunately, I think I'm some ways away from being able to contribute usable
code as yet <smile>. I can accept the answer, though. Is the DLL error
expected then, or should only the functionality be affected in Win98?

> mkgroup should result in a group file containing one line on 9x/ME:
>
>         unknown::544:

And so it does - I have re-created the group file with the desired results
(don't know how it got clobbered originally, though).

> > services -
> > Having seen no examples of the format of a services file, yet seeing
> > [...]
>
> You don't have services in 9x/ME at all.

Okay, I'll accept that. The question still stands: Is there a better way of
terminating inetd than kill-ing it's process?

Thanks again...

Gregg Smith
greggsmith@charter.net <home>
gregg@petzent.com <office>