dlopen with fork

I am experiencing a real strange problem using dlopen (or LoadLibrary).
Essentially my program calls dlopen followed by several calls to dlsym to
resolve some symobls.  Eventually the code issues a fork and I get the
following crash (evaluate.dll is the dll that is being loaded by dlopen):

doit1.exe *** couldn't release memory 0x1A022000(589824) for evaluate.dll
alignment, Win32 error 487
      0 [main] doit1 343 sync_with_child: child 411(0xC4) died before
initialization with status code 0x1
  81162 [main] doit1 343 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading dlls

Here is what really strange, in addition to the libraries
linked with dlopen, my program links against several other
DLL's using import libraries (in the Makefile).  Just for
test purposes, I made the import libraries regular archive
files (plain .a libraries), and now my program runs fine.
I can call dlopen followd by fork without any crashes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know a work
around for it??  I really need to have all of my libraries
be DLL's.

Thanks,
--Craig