How does setup.exe determine machine type?

Hi, All, :)

I'm working through my first attempts at rebuilding the core Cygwin
files myself, and I've gotten a lot further due to Corinna's quick
assistance (thank you!).  However, I've run into a snag.

Setup.exe determines my system is an 'i686' and installs Cygwin
accordingly.  However, 'configure' thinks my box is an 'i586' and
works from that presumption.  Kevin Wright kindly sent me a suggestion
that perhaps the config.guess and config.sub files were out of date
and that a newer distro of libtools might contain updated config.*
files.

However, a little investigation showed me (I'm still learning!) that
the config.*'s depend on 'uname'.  Now, the question is, how does
setup.exe get 'i686' while uname return 'i586'?  Obviously setup.exe
can't depend on 'uname', but they must use different methods.  Should
I just be a real stinker and force (by hacking config.guess)
'configure' to think I'm an 'i686'?

BTW, my box is a Pentium II-400.  Thanks in advance for any ideas,

---Jason Tiller
jdtiller@best.com
Sonos