Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 11:11:02AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Hmm.  I thought that this was always the understanding.  Corinna's ssh
> >> stuff went in /usr/local until it was put into latest but...  hmm...  it
> >> never existed in contrib or latest.  It was in an external site.
> >>
> >> I guess I'd like some clear distinction on a user's disk for what is
> >> "contributed" (and therfore optional) and what is not.  The user has
> >> no easy way of knowing that something comes from a contrib directory
> >> so the only vague hint he'll get will be directory structure.
> >
> >I don't follow this argumentation. Regardless how the package is
> >queezed into an order in the download directory hirarchy it should
> >always be installed in the prefix=/usr part of the users machine.
> >
> >The /usr/local is what the name suggests: It's what the user has
> >additionally locally installed. The /usr part is what is part of
> >the distro. And the contrib packages _are_ part of the distro.
>
> They are contributed, unsupported parts of the distribution.  I
> think that the local directory layout should reflect that.
>
> Why do we even have a "contrib" directory, then?  It is completely
> transparent to the user.  The only thing we can say is "Oh yeah, well
> it's not supported! Check it out for yourself by using your ftp client
> to go to ftp.sources.redhat.com and you'll see! So there!"

The FHS would have these installed in a /opt/package-version directory
with symlinks in /usr/local/bin and etc..  I would suggest that we could
go with this for the contrib directory.  However, my preference for this
is /opt/package/version where version is a subdirectory of package, it's
more esthetically appealing to my eyes.

Earnie.

Earnie.