ntsec

I just installed Cygwin 1.1.8 on windows 2000 advanced server, and I'm
trying to configure ntsec. I have read the login.README as well as a number
of posts in the mailing list archives, but I still can't seem to get it to
work.

The server is part of a domain, so I created the /etc/passwd file using
mkpasswd -d, then modified the pw_gecos field as directed in the
login.README:
jeffr::1605:513:jeffr,U-wireddigital\jeffr,S-1-5-21 ... :/home/jeffr:/bin/sh

I made the /etc/groups file with mkgroup -d, but I didn't modify the output.
I've set the system variable CYGWIN=ntsec, and I've made sure cygwin1.dll is
in the system path. Every time I try to execute /bin/login from within the
cygwin bash shell, I get this:

login: jeffr
Password: <my NT domain password>
Login incorrect.

Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff