How do I access a SCSI-DAT drive?

Hello,
i want to do restore backups that were made on a Linux Machine using tar.
Since I don't want to install Linux on that particular machine, I wanted to
try cygwin.
Now, how do I access a standard SCSI tape drive under cygwin?
Since there is no /dev/ directory, there is no /dev/st[0-7] or /dev/mt[0-7].
Any Ideas?

Should I ever want to do backups from a Linux fileserver running samba,
would it be possible with cygwin tar?
I mean: Can I do the vice-versa operation, store data with a cygwin TAR
command and retrieve them later with a linux box?

Thank You for any help(and pls. apologize my broken english)

Dirk