ports and assembly

I would like to know how to access the ports for the VGA card, the
Joystick, the Keyboard, etcetera, generally, any port I need to.  I of
course have the hexidecimal codes for them already (joystick is 201h)
but I need to have the actual function to get to them, and a way to send
the appropriate mask.  I assume that unlike in Linux, the permissions on
ports are not as heavy, but I still need the functions.  In the older
VC++ compilers it was void outp( unsigned, unsigned ), int inpt(
unsigned ).  Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I could find no
relavent data to this on your FAQ's and such.