Re: mini-announce: lynx 2.8.3r1 binaries (fwd)

> Just a warning, after forwarding that last message to the list I got
> about three virus warning messages from various servers. Since the
> attachment didn't come from me, I'm not sure whether breakln.exe
> really does have a virus or not, but I thought I'd best pass the
> warning on just in case people try using it.

The copy of breakin.exe is not of unknown provenance. It's the same breakin.exe that comes with WinDBG (at least with the previous version of WinDBG). It's a very useful tool for debugging hung code.
It starts up a thread in the process given as its command line arg and executes a breakpoint in that thread, forcing a dump (as described in
http://channels.microsoft.com/msj/0100/bugslayer/bugslayer0100.asp ).

Anyway, just to be sure, I compared the breakin.exe that just arrived on this mailing list with the one installed by

http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/windbg/Feb2000/NT45/EN-US/dbg.exe

and found them to be identical. You're welcome to do the same if you have any doubts.

BTW, the current version of WinDBG is at

http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging/download/dbg_x86_2023.exe

and contains a different version of breakin.exe which is actually smaller (when does Microsoft ever do that? :-)

I suppose it might contain a virus. If somebody finds one in there, they should be sure to tell Microsoft about it.