perl -MCPAN on cygwin

I have just installed cygwin on my Windows ME machine and was
trying to install HTML::Template through the
CPAN shell.

It downloads the tar.gz files, says the checksum is OK and then
fails with:

gzopen \y\sources\author....Template.tar.gz so such file or
directory.

The directory and file are present, and I can unpack the file and run
perl Makefile.PL, make, make test and make install manually no
problem.

I also get the error if I try get or look.

Thanks for any help!

Martin van-Eerde Dip. Comp. (Open)
Senior Analyst Programmer