Re: tramp on NT emacs

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Andrew Maguire wrote:

> I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to solve ;-)
> but you might like to try:
>
> set +o history 1>/dev/null 2>&1
>
> You may need to do it this way around:
>
> set +o history 2>&1 1>/dev/null

I used to use `set +o history 1>/dev/null 2>&1', actually.  The
documentation for the shell tells me that this is the right order.
(The second order means that stderr goes wherever stdout normally
goes, and then stdout is changed to /dev/null.  Or something.)

But what I used to use didn't work on AIX.  The ksh there crashed or
something.  I don't quite remember.  Developing Tramp really teaches
me a lot about all the wrinkles of lots of different operating
systems.  `ls' on SunOS (I think) doesn't return a non-zero exit code
when the file unexists, for example...

Anyone with an AIX account out there who can try again?

Here's the full story:

On some systems, I do

    some_command ; echo tramp_exit_status $?

And some_command prints stuff on stderr.  So one user is getting this
output:

    tramp_exit_statusSTUFF
    FROM SOME_COMMAND GOES HERE 42

Of course, the obvious solution is to do this:

    some_command 2>/dev/null ; echo tramp_exit_status $?

But if some_command happens to be a ksh builtin and the whole thing
happens to be running on AIX -- boom!

Argh.

kai
--