Re: perl Expect module can't open pty on cygwin

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, I wrote I am having problems with the perl
Expect module. Looking at the archives, I see Gerrit P. Haase
wrote in December <URL:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg00215.html>
that he installed it OK with the CPAN module, but I note then
that there were no tests defined for the module.

> Running make test
> No tests defined for Expect extension.
>   /usr/bin/make test -- OK

Trying the same procedure today, I get:

> Running make test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin
>  -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 test.pl
> 1..7
> ok 1
> Expect: Could not assign a pty at blib/lib/Expect.pm line 87.
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 22
>   /bin/make test -- NOT OK
> Running make install
>   make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

This is teh same message as I have been getting trying the module in perl scripts after installing it by hand.

The module works on FreeBSD, so it looks like it has something to
do with the way cygwin creates ptys. According to the module's
maintainer, Roland Giersig, it is a IO::Tty issue. The funny
thing is I could have sworn it worked at one point, but I don't
know how.

Has anyone gotten this module working?

--
Greg Matheson                    Rather than do things right,
Chinmin College,                 Do the right thing.