Changing the color of highlighted text - man pages, less, etc

Hi
I'd like to change the color of highlighted text encountered in a bash
shell.  When viewing man pages or using more(less), the last line on the
screen is highlighted text of the line numbers of the current lines being
viewed.  These default colors have little contrast and it is difficult to
read this line.  This also happens when I use Pine.  Where do I set these
colors? BTW, I've set my term to xterm.

thanks,
Jeff