RE: Uses

[snip]
> Because cmd.exe sucks and I prefer / over c:\. :)  Seriously.  In my
> work I am forced (by virtue of MSOffice; StarOffice really doesn't cut
> the mustard) to have a windows operating system on my laptop.  It is
> nice to have a unix environment in which to develop.  Cygwin comes with
> a ton of utilities that would be a pain to acquire on a pure windows
> system: grep, tar, gzip, perl, vi, cvs, ssh, and the list goes on.
>
> Its free and its great.  What other reasons do you need.

Exactly the same here. After working 4+ years with many flavors of *NIX
only, I am now forced to work with this crippled OS from Micro$oft (it's not
that NT4 is too unstable, but it's shell is simply crap -- do I need to say
more? ;) ). Also, I don't like the way Micro$oft forces me to interact with
their tools (VisualStudio is simply "too graphical" -- that's why I try as
hard as I can to stick to the good old make/gcc pair ;) )

Cygwin is what keeps me sane: without my daily dosis of vi, grep, sed, uniq,
sort, cut, make etc., where would I be? ;) Besides, a lot of internal
processes here in my company are currently being done on NT4 by Cygwin text
tools and bash scripts -- and it would be extremely painful (if not
impossible at all) to handle these tasks with "pure" Windoze tools (even its
Resource Kit doesn't even come close to Cygwin).

So, many thanks to all the Cygwin team and contributors for such a useful
environment.

Just my $0.02...

Andre