Possible ~foo expansion bug

I have no users named cd, foo, or bar on my system.  But the
following typo:
  ~cd /opt/masterlink
caused the following response:
  /home/garry:  Is a directory.

So I tried this:
[administrator@MASTERLINK02]/opt/ml-src/MasterLink.v11
bash-2.05$ echo ~cd
/home/garry
[administrator@MASTERLINK02]/opt/ml-src/MasterLink.v11
bash-2.05$ echo ~foo
/home/garry
[administrator@MASTERLINK02]/opt/ml-src/MasterLink.v11
bash-2.05$ echo ~bar
/home/garry
[administrator@MASTERLINK02]/opt/ml-src/MasterLink.v11
bash-2.05$

This seems very odd.  But even odder ... I just tried to
reproduce this in the window next to the one I'm typing this
message in, and I got the following:

[administrator@MASTERLINK02]~
bash-2.05$ ~cd /opt/masterlink/
bash: ~cd: command not found

Which is the proper response.  So I'm bewildered, but I'm going
to publish the experience here, since I don't have the address
for the Journal of Irreproducable Results.  (There really is such
a journal, I'm getting subscriptions for both my testers for the
holidays.  :)

I wonder, now, if after I exit this ssh session, this window will
still exibit this behavior.